Friday 3 September 2010

THE MOULTON

The Moulton is now considered a design classic, but seeing the bike's wee wheels when it first hit the scene in the 60's, did make it look quite comical.
It didn't take long for the novelty to wear off though, and was quite a common sight on the roads as it became more popular.
One of the unique features of the design was the inner telescopic front suspension with outer rubber spring. Without this, the small wheels would have made it a bumpy ride!
Talking of which - I remember getting a backie on a Moulton once. Not recommended. I was actually sitting on the back area where the bag goes, and because it was so low down, I had to rest my heels on the wheels axle bolts, which in turn lead to my knees sticking up in the air like a frog. Not very cool!
The footage below shows a couple of variations Moulton managed to come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment