Saturday, 23 August 2008


My brother captured this accident that happened in Arbroath Road near Kingsway circle in 1973.
A trailer full of ammonia overturned and burst, spilling the contents all over the road.
The powerful odour was so strong, it made it difficult to breathe when the fumes drifted over the Craigie area.
It took place at lunchtime and I recall folk in Craigie having to close their windows.
We school kids used it as an excuse to return to Craigie High School late that afternoon, complete with watery eyes and hankies covering the face.
At least the firemen only had to nip down the road a few yards to attend!

No comments:

Post a comment