Pages

Sunday, 18 April 2010

SKINNERS AND BRACES - EARLY 70'S

Around the 1972 to 74 period, Skinners (ultra white baggy jeans) were worn as an alternative to stone white Sta-Prest. Like the Sta-Prest, they were usually worn halfway up your shin to show off your Doc Martens or hooped socks.
There was a bit of a thing going with some gangs who wore Skinners to get a Clockwork Orange look.
Around the same time, I remember buying white braces out of McGills. The most common type were the clip-on design, I however, got the button-down variety, as above, but it wasn't until I got home that I realised none of my jeans or trousers had any buttons on the waistband, so I ended up sewing some onto my Skinners just so I could wear the braces!!

4 comments:

  1. murder to wear to the Gussie park carnival, got totally "barkit"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have a pair of those. Yep, with the aforementioned white braces and doc martens polished obsessively with ox blood cherry blossom polish. Wish I could get a pair now. No bugger has heard of 'em or knows what you're talking about, which is staggering to me. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. original skinners - facebook

      Delete
  3. Yes I had a pair, but didn't hear of the white ones? mine were like raw dark
    denim & took eons to fade out(quality)
    I'd wear them now & I'm 60 (wtf!)

    ReplyDelete