Monday, 12 April 2010

OVERGATE'S CLOTHES SHOPS - 1974

Here's the entire list of Overgate's clothes shops taken from the 1974 Dundee Directory.

Lower level - CLAUDE ALEXANDER - K.O. FASHIONS - BREAKOUT AT JACKSON'S - GREAT AMERICAN PANTHOUSE - STONE DRI - JOHN TEMPLE - DOROTHY PERKINS - SKIRT "N" SLACKS - SAMUEL PEPYS - VAN ALLAN - BOY MEETS GIRL - C&A.
Upper level - C&A - TIE & SHIRT GALLERY - KENDALL - VERNONS FASHIONS - BRENTFORD NYLONS - MR. BEAUJANGLES - VAN ALLAN.

Some fashionable, some not quite so!
I remember I used to call Samuel Pepys "Peppies".
It wasn't until a good while later that I discovered it was pronounced "Peeps"..!!
Photo by DRP

5 comments:

  1. Robbies was upstairs in 74, but it wasn't on the go at the time the Directory was published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 things I can remember about K.O. Fashions.
    In 1973 I got a black dress blazer with shiny chrome buttons. Looking back you'd think it may have been for a wedding or something, but these were actually worn with jeans & Dr Martens. They were popular with the gang tribes at the time and were as common as Harringtons and Crombies.
    A couple of years later I got a shirt from there with a repeat pattern on it, with the image of a vintage car. Dozens of tiny wee cars dotted all over. When I got home I discovered the front left panel of the shirt was printed upside down! 75% of the shirt looked road worthy, 25% looked like a scrap yard!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone know anything about the Stone-Dri shop? I am trying to find out about the history of the brand.

    Anything would help. Good or bad..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emma

    Stone-Dri is where I'm sure the Lochee Fleet boys and possibly many other gangs got their Staypress trousers to go with the Doc Martins! It also sold T-shirts etc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great thanks. Do you happen to know if I could speak to anyone that was a Lochee Fleet boy? Do they have a website or a blog like this? Excuse my ignorance, I’ve never heard of them before

    Also do you know what retailer is in their old shop now?

    ReplyDelete