Tuesday 25 October 2011

THE PDP-10 AT DUNDEE UNIVERSITY - 1976

This monster machine is the mighty PDP-10 DEC computer being installed at Dundee University in 1976, replacing their previous one, the Elliot (ICL) 4130.
The PDP-10 was not only able to cope with the demands of all the university departments, it was also part of a larger network connected to other Scottish universities.
Impressive for its time, but not as impressive as Batman's computer in the Batcave. That was able to digest clues then let Batman know which shop The Penguin was about to raid!

4 comments:

  1. Was this in Park Place, or were they still in Springfield at that time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The computer centre didnt move to Park Place until later. I remember punching my ALGOL-60 cards in Springfield when i went to the uni in 1976

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I was a DEC PDP KL10 engineer and worked on that installation. We left the disk drives doing random seeks (from the KLAD pack) whilst we went to the pub. When we returned, they had walked to the hole in the floor where the floor tiles had been lifted, and fell in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This pic came up on my feed. Imagine my surprise to see my dad there who was the first ever computing department director supervising his baby. he installed 2 more systems in his time (in Park Place) and the stress was unbearable! My dad passed away 18 years ago so great to him pop up on my screen quite unexpectedly.

    ReplyDelete