Saturday 29 October 2011

DEMPSEY'S KARATE AD - 1972

One way you could get in shape to fend off bullies was to join a karate club.
This ad for Dempsey's Karate School is from 1972 and gives the lowdown on various aspects about the team and the club facilities.
My mate used to go to Dempsey's around 1969/70 and I remember going along with him one Saturday morning to watch a training session.
Afterwards, I got to muck about with some of the gear they had and this was the first time I had ever encountered a medicine ball. Blimey, I could hardly lift the thing off the ground, never mind throw it and catch it!

3 comments:

  1. Blast from the past! I went to Dempseys in the early 70s, part of the huge Bruce Lee cult thing when I was about 11 or 12. Was great fun going twice or three times a week....The instructors, including all the Dempsey family, Pat, Paul and "old man" Dempsey were great fun and passionate about their art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My great aunt was there - started at age 66 and ended up getting her black belt!

      Delete
  2. I was in that team in Brussels in 1972. Happy memories.

    kennethmcnab@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete