Saturday 16 October 2010

GROUCHO'S FAKE RECORD - 1979

In 1979, Groucho record shop created a parody of an album by the Specials.
They called themselves the Mundanes - but they were not a real band, so no Mundanes record inside.
The fake sleeve was actually a party invite to celebrate the 3rd year of Groucho being in biz.
They also tweaked the 2 Tone logo to resemble Groucho Marx and changed the song titles - one being "I Don't Like Mundanes".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forward-wind 4 decades, and Groucho's are involved in more piss-takes, this time fake gig posters for the film, Schemers - complete with venues & bands that don't match the fake dates.
They're all as fake as Groucho Marx's moustache!

12 comments:

  1. Hi, Have you got a picture of what the labels look like on the vinyl? I would very much like to see the picture.

    Please email me skavillecity@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was no Mundanes record involved, it was only a mock-up of the cover they made.

      Delete
  2. There was a record inside & it had faked up label of Walt Jabsco looking like Groucho Marx, someone online emailed me the picture of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I meant was that there was no recording by Mundanes, they were not a band.
      They were just a bunch of Dundee guys having a bit of fun doing a visual parody of the cover.
      They did put records inside but they were just random discs by other acts.
      Nothing to do with Mundanes, ska or 2 Tone.

      Delete
  3. If you want that pic I can email it to you if you let me know your email address, or you can visit my Discord server called Skaville City Community to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know. I'm not stupid, I do know

    ReplyDelete
  5. You failed to send me the picture of that, but luckily someone else online was kind enough to share that picture, shame on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't send you something I haven't got.
      I don't have the Mundanes record sleeve or inside content.
      I only have an original Feb 1980 Record Mirror article about it.

      Delete
  6. I read all about this back in 1979, there was an article about it, I think it was in Melody Maker. That's how I know all the information about it. There was way more information about it than what you've put on here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a cunt for treating me as if i'm stupid, I'm way more fucking clued up about it than what you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All I asked you was could you share a pucture of the label & you've acted like a cunt. I'm thankful that someone else has shared it. That person never acted like a cunt like you have acted like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're a fucking dickhead.

    ReplyDelete