Friday 7 November 2008

B.G. FORBES - VICTORIA ROAD - 1968

The building in the yellow & blue stripes in the picture is B.G. Forbes, the music shop up Victoria Road.
The ground floor sold musical instruments, sheet music and so on, while upstairs, (as you can see by the big PIANOS sign) they had the Music School.
There were different rooms for different instruments and I used to go to guitar lessons there every Saturday morning when I was primary school age - in fact it would have been around the same era this picture was taken, that being 1968.

Photo by DC Thomson.Tints by GG.

7 comments:

  1. That is one good memory, bought my first mouth organ there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must be the shop where Sir Jimmy Shand worked

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His house got broke in to, police threw an accordion round the building.

      Delete
  3. Took my first accordion lessons there with my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mum bought me my first Accoustic guitar there in 1967 when I was 12 years old My first lesson cost 5 bob, 25 Pence now but it was a Lot of money in them days she couldn't really afford it but told me to keep going every week but I didn't go back because i knew things were tight, i bought a Bert Weedon Learn Guitar book from them instead and learned to play from it, what a lovely guitar wish i still had it today, brought me such Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandfather, Robert Borland, was the manager of the Forbes shop and looked after the shop for Mr Forbes when he went to war.

    ReplyDelete