Monday 11 May 2009

STAR WARS QUEUE - 1978

Bet most of you remember this...queuing to see Star Wars. This photo was taken in February 1978 on the day it burst onto screen at the Odeon for the first time. It was on a Sunday that it made it's debut in Dundee, and the queue having began at 9:00am, ended up along the length of Cowgate and all the way down to the bottom of St Andrew's Street, as in the photo. Not only that but the doors didn't open until 4:00pm and because of the size of the crowd the Odeon had to bring in an extra cashier to help out.
I remember going to see it a few days later, and although I enjoyed it I'll never forget my mates comment as we were leaving the building with everyone raving about it. Looking rather bemused, he quipped "It was a bit far fetched!".
If you think you may be in with a shout of spotting yourself in the picture - click on the image to view the large version.
Photo by DC Thomson.Tints by GG.

1 comment:

  1. I went to see Star Wars at the Odeon around this time too. My mum took me (I was only 8). Must've been a wee while later though as the queues weren't nearly as big.The picture of St Andrew's Street reminds me of the barbers across the road where I had a few flat-tops a few years later... Seem to remember there was a joke shop there too.

    ReplyDelete