Saturday 16 May 2009

MID 70'S AIR SHOT - THE THREE PARKS

Dens Park, Tannadice Park and Gussie Park together form Dundee's "Bermuda Triangle" with the ongoing mystery of the disappearing football crowds!
Gussie Park was where the opposition buses would park on match days leading to many lively clashes around this area amongst fans.
One quirky story from this area in the 60's is the time when Gary Glitter stayed in Fleming Gardens (orange roofs, top right corner of the picture). Local musician, Doug Martin was in a band called Johnny Hudson Hi-Four and they were sometimes called upon to back visiting acts. One such act was Paul Raven (later Gary Glitter) who then fell ill and was nursed back to health by Doug's mother in Fleming Gardens.
Doug also worked at Gussie Park carnival on the dodgems in his youth, and when I used to go to the carnival a few years later in the early 70's in my young teenage years, one of the highlights was the sound of Gary Glitter records blasting out the PA systems!!
The carnival wasn't there when this photo was taken but if you want a reminder of the carnival, there is a photo and some comments in my October 2008 Archives.

12 comments:

  1. that would be Bella then? lovely woman .

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who used to visit Dundee regularly in the early 80s for the football, perhaps someone on here could answer a wee question?
    On the long walk from Dundee station to Dens or Tannadice, we used to spot literally dozens of bits of graffiti of the name "Coondo" sprayed on every available wall.

    Who (or what) was Coondo? A local gang or someone's nickname?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha ha, I was thinking about 'Coondo' graffiti this week when I was in London believe it or not. There used to be a great bit of Dundee F.C. / Coondo graffiti that was high on the wall as you stepped down to the underground from Kings Cross mainline station. It appeared there 1979 when Scotland played England at Wembley and stayed for many many years. It kinda dissapeared when Kings Cross got refurbished a few years ago. I always had a little chuckle to myself everytime I passed it over the years. 'Coondo' was a Dundee fan from the Hilltown who still goes to the games I think. I bumped into him at Perugia a few years ago. Now, who was SATAN ha ha ha... DENS DERRY 76'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary Glitter's real name was "Paul Francis Gadd" and NOT "Paul Raven"!

    Or am I wrong?? Paul Raven was "Killing Joke" bassist who died in 2007 aged 47.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Gadd was Glitter's "real" name but Paul Raven was his first "stage" name in the 60's before his 70's glam tag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once went to Tannadice in 1972,to watch a match between ministers and butchers.I think it was a charity event.Was this a one off,or did they do it regularly?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I remember that as well or was it undertakers? Were they the same games that were played on the sandbank beside the rail bridge on the tay? Maybe not...

    ReplyDelete
  8. SATAN is my uncle and now lives in Stonehaven, doesn't get down to see the Dee as much as he'd like these days but he has fond memories of the times

    SATAN DERRY :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I checked the internet,and it was Ministers and Butchers.I think Undertakers and Butchers would be a bit on the gory side,as people would forget what side they were playing for.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Bella Mertin(Martin) was my Grannie, she brought up seven bairns at 1 Fleming Gardens South Alex,Bobby,Stanley,Norrie,Izzy,Dougie&Helen. Only Dougie& Helen survive. She also brought up grandchildren, Dougie,Mark,Pat& Dorothy!(young Dougie no longer alive(Bobbys son)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my god, just came across this web page. I can see my old house in this picture. I was born in maryfield hospital in 1973 and grew up from then in 17 flemming gardens south. Was a great place to grow up in as a kid. Big backies to play in and loved when the carnival came to gussie park. I attended Dens Road Primary and Morgan Academy. Left Dundee for London 10 years ago. All family and friends still there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ministers v Butchers was an annual charity match, usually played at Dens Park.

    ReplyDelete