Monday 1 September 2008

MR BEAUJANGLES - OVERGATE - 1970's

Mr Beaujangles was a fashion boutique dreamt up by Dundee businessman, Ian Dand.
His first store opened in the Overgate in November 1973, with well known Scottish DJ, Stuart Henry, doing the opening ceremony. That was soon followed by shops opening in Aberdeen and Edinburgh.
The stores were targeting the 16 to 25 age group and closely followed the latest London fashion styles. 
Mr Beaujangles also came up with the novel idea of having go-go dancers perform in cages at weekends, to attract custom.
Later, 2 more shops were added to the Dundee collection - one in the Wellgate and another in Commercial Street. However, when all 3 stores were operating at a later stage, they dropped the "Mr" part from their business name and just settled for being called "Beaujangles". The main reason for this was that they introduced a female clothing section, thus becoming unisex stores.
However, it all crashed to a halt in April 1982 when Beaujangles closed its doors for good.
The top image is how the shop looked in 1978 in the Overgate when it was still called "Mr Beaujangles" and so too the shop carrier bag from the same era.

20 comments:

  1. I remember the Go-Go dancer in the cage hanging from the ceiling in the Overgate shop...doesn't everybody!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember this shop in Aberdeen and they had the Go-Go dancers as well.

      Delete
  2. I bought loads of great clothes here, in particular a spangly silver and black jumper- mine was bought and worn in the mid 70's however, years later (early 80's )a similar one was worn by Mark E Smith of the Fall

    ReplyDelete
  3. dont know why but this shop freaked me right out - the thought of it still scares me slightly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If memory serves, the Overgate shop was opened by Radio 1 DJ, Stuart Henry (RIP). There's one of the ex go-go dancer works in my office.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My aunt was one of the go-go dancers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was the go-go dancer who did the opening of Beaujangles. Stuart Hendry spun the discs. He actually mentioned the event (including me) on his Radio Luxembourg show that same night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol @ margaret my hubby remembers you he was the son of Ian dand the owner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your hubby must be called John. My cousin, Ian Dand, and myself opened "Mr. Beaujangles in the Overgate in 1973. I came up with the idea and Ian and myself masterminded the concept until we ended up with ten stores stretching from Aberdeen to St.Helier in Jersey.
      Good times.

      Delete
  8. I was one of the 2 GoGo dancers who danced in Beaujangles in 1972 we dance there on Saturdays. We went down to Edinburgh to dance at the opening of their new shop. Billy Connolly opened the shop. Liz Thomson

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember Liz she danced every Saturday. I was one of the many males who stood staring at her until I was evicted for not buying anything. I still remember those legs!!!
    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  10. My granny fisken stayed in the old over gate remember the chestnuts being cooked at Christmas ,all the stands and the sasprella shop,always a great time was had

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Serendipity" for sure. I was looking for any information on Outpost - an old haunt of mine in the 70's and I found this Amazing Blog!!!!!! This is a total Gem. Feels like I have just got into a time machine and being transported back to my misspent Youth. I spent every Saturday in town with my sister and friends. We were gobsmacked when we saw the Go Go Dancers, felt like being on TO.T.P.'s and watching Pans People. Can't wait to check out the rest of the Posts and have a Trip down Memory Lane.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wasn't there one on Kirkcaldy high street ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, and on the outside wall was a huge sihllouett plastic cut out of the dude with the hat... mr B. I always wanted that cut out for my bedroom wall. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember seeing the dancer through the window of the Overgate branch, aged nine. Then getting a thick ear from my mum, for going back for a second look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was the manager in the Jersey shop. Thoroughly enjoyed working with Ian and Graham.
    Lived it and lived it
    I painted the silhouette of Mr B on one of the office wall one day. Just for fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Should have said:
    Lived it and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember Mr Beaujangles in Jersey when I was a child in the 1970s. Shame it didn't cater for kids else I'd have been in there often.

    ReplyDelete