Monday 22 September 2008

GARY GLITTER FILM - 1974

In 1974, I went to see this Gary Glitter film twice in one week.
I was in the final year of my school days, and glam-rock dominance was also in its final year.
In '74, Bowie had ditched Ziggy. Eno departed Roxy. Hunter left Mott, and as for Slade, Wizzard, T.Rex, Sweet etc, well '74 pretty much saw the last of their chart-topping success too.
So me going to see the Glitter movie was a kind of fond farewell to glam-rock, which was so much fun as a schoolkid.
The film itself was a behind the scenes style documentary, ending with a live show in London. I recall the audience (mostly teenagers) were shouting "Hey" and clapping along to some of the songs like they were at a concert!
Although I now have the film on DVD, Gary's request to "Remember Me This Way" was adhered to back then, as I never followed Glitter's career again after this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment