Tuesday 30 September 2008

THE BOAR'S ROCK - CRAIGIEBANK 1973

This is the Boar's Rock's first day open for business and Bob McLaren (seated) awaits his first customer.
It's February 1973 and the transformation from grocer shop to pub is complete.
I didn't start drinking until around 1974 when I was 16, going to places like the Hansom Cab in town. Being underage meant I chose to stay clear of the Boars Rock because it was our local and I didn't want to bump into my relatives or neighbours! I didn't mind risking the town centre ones underage but I didn't think it was such a good idea to get banned from your own local!! So I just held out until I did turn 18 and along I popped to the Rock to sample it which then lead to me visiting there quite often on Sunday lunchtimes.
The pub, situated in Arbroath Road, is still going strong today.

Photo by DC Thomson.

5 comments:

  1. It's about the emptiest I've ever seen it. Timex workers must be waiting at the door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob was a huge Frank Sinatra fan and I remember the time in the 70's he came back raving about one of his concerts he travelled down to London to see.
    Curt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone know why it is called the Boars Roack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Boar's Rock is Creag an Tuirc in Gaelic (not widely spoken in Dundee these days). That's the traditional rallying place of the MacLaren clan, in Balquhidder.

      Delete
  4. You wouldn't have got served in there when you were 16. Boab McLaren was pretty strict.

    ReplyDelete