Tuesday 8 December 2009

FAVOURITE 60'S TOY - SPIRO-MATIC

Probably my favourite toy from the 60's was the Spiro-matic, a psychedelic art machine for kids. I got one for Christmas the year they first came out in 1969 and made many a masterpiece on it!!
I actually have the original toy (that's mine above) and it is still in perfect working order with all the bits & pieces that came with it.
Much to my amazement, however, when I was looking to see how much info there was on the net about the toy, I could hardly find any references to it, and absolutely no images. So, because I thought there ought to be some kind of source on it readily available on the net, I decided to start my own wee blog dedicated to it a few weeks ago, called SPIRO-MATIC GALLERY. That has lots of images of the toy itself as well as examples of the artwork.
Some of you may know that in recent years, Spiro-matic artwork inspired Damien Hirst and David Bowie to do large scale versions of the idea. They were called spin paintings and I ventured along to the Saatchi Gallery in London a few years ago to see the Hirst display. Huge they were and they did bring a big smile to my face, especially with the thought that I was dabbling in this form of art way before Damien!
Anyway, if anyone is interested in viewing some original 60's efforts, here is the link http://spiromatic.blogspot.com/

12 comments:

  1. I had one of these too when I was a kid had some brilliant fun with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also have one in the loft along with a spirograph .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one of these when I was a kid. I thought it was brilliant and when I tell my husband and children about it they think that I am a bit crazy being so enthusiastic about it, as they don't know what I am going on about. I am so glad that I found this site and I can now show them that there was such a thing and that other people do know about them! Yes, I also had a spirograph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was the best toy ever and still evokes an excitement thinking about it. I can' think why no one's reissued it. Danger [possible lid flying off] violence [in the pictures] and colour - what more could a child want? I am so grateful to you for publishing this as I too have looked everywhere on the net for it - to no avail. My children thought I was making it up - surely children were never let loose with such a bomb !! How wonderful to still own one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also had one of these and am desperate to own one again.Do you know of anywhere I can buy one or if somebody is selling one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one to sell, as new in box.

      Delete
  6. I remember mine well. Took it to school and had loads of fun with it in the early to mid 70's. Shame someone hasn't re-produced it.....for OUR generation. Cheers folks, Ann from Merton Park, SW20

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HAD ONE, I BOUGHT MY DAUGHTER SOMETHING SIMILAR ABOUT 15 YEAR AGO, HAD A DIFFERENT NAME THOUGH. LOVED THIS AS MY FAVOURITE TOY.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had one too, your right there is hardly any info on it. I would love to own one again. It was so much fun and who cares that i am an old git now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's fantastic that you've kept the memory alive. There was a 3rd "spiro" toy which I had, SpiroFoil. This involved etching with the normal Spirograph wheels into foil sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favourite toy - got it as a birthday present 1969 - my mum saved up for ages. I've still got it and it works - 2021 😁

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had one, only problem was that the colour bottles dried out after 20 years in the loft!

    ReplyDelete