Saturday 20 March 2010

70'S AIR SHOT - CRAIGIE / CRAIGIEBANK

The main focal point in this picture is the Kingsway circle.
Branching off from it is Arbroath Road going up to the 12 o'clock position. Running parallel to the plane's wing is Douglas Road & Greendykes Road, and cutting across the middle of the image, right to left, is the Kingsway & Strips Of Craigie Road.
Tucked away at the very bottom right of the photo is Kemnay Gardens cul-de-sac, where I used to live.
The square roof nearest to the roundabout is where Scott Fyffe Motors is.
Aaahhh, but is it?! I have a couple of old photos that show it spelt as Scott Fyfe, with NO double-F, yet their website has a photo with the double-F variant. To confuse matters, my old Dundee Directories have BOTH spellings, as does Google. So come on guys, what the F is going on?!
Moving further up Arbroath Road to the rectangular roof sitting beside the corner edge area of the cemetery, that became a supermarket called Presto.
On the far left of the picture at the end of Greendykes Road is the church I used to go to when I was in the BB in the late 60's. I'd be about 10. I only stuck it about a year though as I wasn't quite so keen on the formal marching stuff. I much preferred playing in the football team and helping out at their jumble sales!

5 comments:

  1. stobbie land o cakes20 March 2010 at 13:18

    Craigiebank Parish Church home of the 50th Dundee Company of the boys brigade.was a member in the mid to late 70's Mr Black and his family were the leaders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retro,what is the building situated in the site of where Safeway and Aldi were?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was where Presto moved into in the late 70's.
    I'm not 100% sure what it was when this photo was taken, as I think the building was sitting empty for a while, but around 1970, there was a place called McLeans Potatoes based there and the Angus Prepacking co, so perhaps it belonged to one of them.
    You can also see the Greendykes Service Station at the front of it. GG

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a boy in the 50th during the 60s and subsequently an officer for the next 30 years and more. readers mayn be interested to know that the church is scheduled for demolition and a new community church building put in its place if they can get the money together. George and Daisy Black who ran the BB in these days are both dead now. I would be interested to know who Retro is and any other ex-members in touch. Gary Miller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in the 50th BB in the 1950's when Mr Muir was the captain and George Black was his next in command. Mr Muir went on to be The Dundee Battalion Captain. I was in the football team and there was a Photo of us in the papers. I had a copy of it but unfortunately I have missplaced it which is annoying. Mr Walker was the Church Minister at the time. Len Hammond

      Delete