Sunday 1 November 2009

THE 10 BOB NOTE

I may not have got any 10 bob notes out guising, but I do remember getting them in birthday cards.
10 shillings in the mid/late 60's would get you the bus fare into town, a 7-inch single, a comic and still plenty left over for sweeties.
The perfect shopping spree for a primary school kid..!!
For the younger ones amongst you, the 10 bob note was later replaced by the 50 pence piece when the UK changed to decimal currency in 1971.
Below is a public information film from 1970 explaining the changes.
NCR must have been doing loads of overtime during this period updating all their tills..!!

8 comments:

  1. my aunt has ain we Spurs legend Dave McKays autograph on it, approached him at White City when he wis havin a punt on the doags.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its probably worth more than ten bob then

    ReplyDelete
  3. .
    The 50p coin was actually introduced in 1969. It was the third decimal coin, the first two being the 5p and 10p, introduced in 1968.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_Day

    8=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to remember the sixpence was still legal tender in early 70`s? Two and a half pence? Bit younger tnan some of you who may be able to confirm this or otherwise me being born 1967,feb 15th coincidentally.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Bill on this one. The sixpence was about for a while after decimalisation...I think...or maybe it was because my grannie kept a stash of them for her clootie dumplings

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter's got a necklace, with a wee capsule which has a 10 bob note folded up neatly inside!

    ReplyDelete
  7. .
    From the link I gave above...

    "Public outcry at the proposed demise of the old sixpence (6d), worth exactly 2½p and originally slated for early withdrawal, postponed its withdrawal until June 1980."

    8=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember Cadbury's got in on the act in the early 70's by selling packets of Decimal chocolate coins!

    ReplyDelete